Häagen-Dazs Ice Creams were created with the vision to change the world of ice-creams. They were first sold by Reuben Mattus on a horse-driven cart in New York in 1960. Here are some awe-inspiring facts about them:
1. Their name is a tribute to Second World War:
The name ‘Häagen-Dazs’ was a Danish sounding name and it was given to the ice-cream as a sign of gratitude to Denmark for being generous towards the Jews.
2. The ice-cream started with three flavours:
Initially, only three flavors were available in Häagen-Dazs viz. Vanilla, Chocolate and Coffee. Now it has over 25 flavors to be chosen from.
3. It took six years to find the right kind of strawberries:
Rueben focussed on the quality of ice-cream and therefore strived hard to find the perfect kind of strawberries for six years.
4. Introduction of bars on Valentine’s day:
Ice-cream bars were launched on 14th February 1986 to celebrate love in a delicious way for love birds.
5. Investment in Honey Bee Research:
These bees pollinate one-third of the food eaten and many of the ingredients of ice-cream. They were getting extinct at an alarming rate and hence Häagen-Dazs invested in it.
6. Häagen-Dazs required cooler temperature than normal ice-creams:
It is recommended to store these ice-creams below zero degrees Fahrenheit to preserve their firmness.
7. First ice-cream bars for adults:
They launched the first ice-cream bars that were targeted upon adults. Previously ice-cream companies only made bars for kids.