Häagen-Dazs Ice Creams were created with the vision to change the world of ice-creams. They were first sold by Reuben Mattus on a horse-driven cart in New York in 1960. Here are some awe-inspiring facts about them:
1. Häagen-Dazsname is a tribute to Second World War.
The name ‘Häagen-Dazs’ was a Danish sounding name and it was given to the ice-cream as a sign of gratitude to Denmark for being generous towards the Jews.
2. The ice-cream started with three flavours.
Initially, only three flavors were available in Häagen-Dazs viz. Vanilla, Chocolate and Coffee. Now it has over 25 flavors to be chosen from.
3. It took six years to find the right kind of strawberries.
Rueben focussed on the quality of ice-cream and therefore strived hard to find the perfect kind of strawberries for six years.
4. Introduction of bars on Valentine’s day.
Ice-cream bars were launched on 14th February 1986 to celebrate love in a delicious way for lovebirds.
5. Investment in Honey Bee Research.
These bees pollinate one-third of the food eaten and many of the ingredients of ice-cream. They were getting extinct at an alarming rate and hence Häagen-Dazs invested in it.
6. Häagen-Dazs required cooler temperature than normal ice-creams.
It is recommended to store these ice-creams below zero degrees Fahrenheit to preserve their firmness.
7. First ice-cream bars for adults.
They launched the first ice-cream bars that were targeted upon adults. Previously ice-cream companies only made bars for kids.