One of the best thing about traveling is the fact that you can indulge in the authentic cuisine of the place that you visit. Not enjoying the authentic dishes found in the country you visit would be not making full use of your visits. So here are a few tips to make sure that you completely enjoy your stay and immerse yourself in the culture without having to rip your pockets.
1. Always take advantage of the breakfast available at your hotel. Try to eat nutritious food that will fill you up such as nuts and protein bars. Try to eat food that will satiate your appetite and keep you feeling full until your next meal.
2. Enjoy the local cuisine in the region where you are visiting. Meals at street food stalls tend to give you an insight into the culture of the area. These meals will also allow one to have cheap food which is incredibly delicious.
3. Another way to eat cheap will be to have meals at fast food stores. The best plan would be to eat one meal of the day that belongs to the authentic cuisine of the region and depend on fast food stores or street vendors for the other two meals.
4. Ask a localite such as the Autowala or the cab driver for recommendations for hotels. They will be able to suggest places which will serve delicious food without putting a hole in your pocket.
5. Cooking a few meals a week or even a meal per day will also be a good idea. Travellers who are using Couchsurfing for their accommodation or who are staying at hostels will be able to use the kitchen in most cases to cook. Cooking your food will be one of the most economical methods for you to prevent yourself from spending a lot of money. However, this facility might not be available in all hostels.
6. Be on the lookout for lunch specials or for happy hours where you will be able to dine out at great discount prices. Several hotels now have happy hours where you will get good offers for eating out at certain times of the day. Try to plan your meals around these times in advance to save a bunch of money.
8. Another idea would be to stock up on food such as protein bars which you can snack on. These are not expensive, and yet they will fill you up saving you from spending money on other more expensive snacks. The snacks might seem like small expenses, but when you put it all together, it is a waste of a ton of money.
Saving money while traveling is not an easy job, so use these tips to try and cut down on your food expenditure to remain a happy traveler.