It is a common misconception among people that it is easier to gain weight than to lose weight. However, what people do not understand is the fact that the weight that you are able to gain easily is not healthy. Rather, it is tough to gain healthy weight speedily.
The reason behind this difficulty is the fact that the stomach size of a thin person would be small and hence it would be extremely difficult to increase the appetite and increase the amount of food consumption. The second reason behind this is the fact that if at all thin people are able to consume huge quantities of food they will end up gaining unhealthy ‘fat’ instead of healthy weight.
Another concern for thin people is that when they do end up gaining healthy weight they have to make sure that the fat or the muscles that they acquire has to be spread out over the body instead of being concentrated on certain regions like the abdomen. A fact that everybody has to understand is that gaining weight the healthy way is the path one should choose. It will be extremely bad for the body if one decides to hog out on food as this will lead to gaining unhealthy fat, which might lead to obesity or to other vitamin and nutrient deficiency diseases.
Some of the reasons for people being underweight might be due to lack of appetite, minimal consumption of food, prolonged gaps between meals, eating disorders like bulimia or anorexia nervosa, lack of proper amount of required calories, et cetera.
So here are a few tricks which will help you to put on those extra pounds and build some muscles in a healthy fashion and in a manner that will not harm the human body.
1. Get to the root of the problem. Try to understand your body better so that you can understand what the reason behind your lack of weight is. Once you are able to analyse the situation and find out the root cause of the problem you will be able to diagnose a proper solution for it on your own. Consulting a nutritionist or your family doctor can also be a good way to go ahead as they will be able to help you figure out your body better.
2. The healthy way to gain weight is to gain weight naturally and gradually. A gradual weight gain will be permanent and healthy as compared to a sudden weight gain. Increasing the amount of calorie intake of your body to 500kcal per day can help to increase 0.5 kg weight every week.
3. Try to exercise really well. This is because even really thin people can develop bellies which are not healthy. A paunch will lead to visceral and subcutaneous fat in your body which increases the unhealthy factor. So it is important to do some cardio and weight training to keep yourself healthy.
4. The ultimate weight for people who are trying to gain weight is to gain lean body mass. For this, it is important to do some heavy weight lifting. Include exercises like squats, deadlifts, pull-ups, rows, dips, snatches and jerks. These exercises will help to trigger hormonal response systems and engage multiple muscles in the body.
5. A good exercise routine for beginners will be to do a rotation cycle with squats, pull-ups, overhead press, deadlifts, bench presses, overhead presses. Doing a sequence of these exercises every day will help to keep the body gaining weight steadily.
6. Maintain a healthy diet for the human body. The market is loaded with dietary supplements which help in weight gain however, most of these dietary supplements are made of synthetic nutrients which might lead to running your health. Instead, the better idea is to stick to a healthy diet which includes nuts, dairy products and exclusive of alcohol to get good results.
7. Other food items to include in the diet include nuts, dry fruits, fruits, snacks et cetera. They help to increase healthy fat instead of increasing just normal empty calories. Choosing fibre rich food will also be beneficial for the body and it will also help to increase your weight gradually.
8. Stop overeating or indulging in copious amounts of junk food. Instead, try to pace your meals. Divide your meals into smaller bits so that you are able to avoid unhealthy snacking or binging on unhealthy food. Go for foods which are nutrient and calorie dense instead of going for foods that are loaded with empty calories.
9. Try to avoid binging on sweet food items. Something that thin people are often told is to eat a lot of sweets and fatty items as it will help to “bulk up”. However, this is a wrong perception, binging on sweets will only make you increase visceral fat and lead to malabsorption of nutrients in our body.
10. Include a lot of vegetables and meats in your diet. These are good sources of proteins, minerals and fibres. This will also help you to stay away from unhealthy snacks as they will help prevent snacking. Including lots of vegetables and meat will also give the body enough protein for the hormones to synthesize.
Also Read: 5 FRUITS FOR WEIGHT GAIN
11. Try to include consumption of healthy fats. This can be done by including substances such as egg yolks, meat with animal fat, coconut oil and other healthy fats in your diet. Including fruits like banana and sapodilla will also help the body to increase healthy fats. However, do not overindulge in these items, the amount of consumption of these items should be moderated properly so that it remains healthy.
12. Increase protein intake. This can be done by including food items such as tofu, paneer, chicken and vegetables like spinach to your diet. The normal amount of protein required by the human body is 1 gm/kg in a day. Getting a good amount of protein will also help to decrease snacking as it will curb the hunger pangs experienced by the body. It also helps to maintain a healthy body weight and to increase lean body mass in us.
13. Include fish like salmon and tuna, natural fruits juices, Indian flat bread and whole wheat bread in your diet. These help to gain weight in a healthy manner as they are rich in healthy fat content.
14. Increase healthy calories intakes and reduce empty calorie intake. Healthy calories can be increased by eating food items like cheese, oils, bananas, homemade butter et cetera. Empty calories, on the other hand, are accumulated through processed food items and liquids, so try to avoid these items in your daily diet.
15. Include three to four servings of fruits and vegetables on a daily basis. This will help to curb snacking and hunger pangs. These food items will also give you huge amounts of nutrients which will help you to gain weight. Avoid unnecessary food items like chocolates and canned juices which don’t help to increase body weight healthily.
16. Consult a doctor or a nutritionist to find out what the best dietary supplements will be for your body. Get consultations on dietary supplements instead of self-prescription of these drugs. Protein powders, meal replacement bars, multivitamin bars et cetera can help you to increase weight but an excess of these can lead to vomiting or diarrhoea so consult a nutritionist to know the best way to go about it.
17. Remember basic etiquettes required by the human body such as chewing your food properly to improve digestion, avoiding excessive consumption of alcoholic drinks or caffeinated drinks, keeping track of your weight et cetera. Cook your foods with items that are beneficial for your health. Eat healthy meals throughout the day instead of eating one healthy meal and binging on unhealthy items during the other meals.
18. Avoid unhealthy habits which led to gaining unhealthy weight. These will include bad habits such as skipping breakfast, eating meals at odd times, going on crash diets, eating too much junk food or not getting enough sleep. Try to avoid all of these choices as they will all have bad consequences for the body at the end of the day. Remember that being healthy does not mean being fat for thin people or vice versa. Erase bad food habits so that they will stop having negative consequences on your body.
19. The end result of adopting all of these healthy techniques and eliminating bad food choices from your body will be a toned and fit body. This will help to gain weight where it is needed so you look fit and fabulous. Remember that if you gain a lot of weight around your abdomen as a thin person this is not a good sign. Remain patient as the process will be slow as it is not easy to gain weight for thin people. The process can be a bit tedious and slow however the end product will be totally worth it.
> More on Health