The world can be divided into coffee drinkers and tea drinkers. There are some people who prefer energy drinks containing caffeine as well. But since caffeine is the easily accessible and possibly the most consumed drug, the effects of it should be given more importance.
Since there are various myths and controversies regarding the consumption, it is only fair to give out a piece of information that highlights the pros and cons. One day you hear that drinking coffee can prolong life, but the next it will probably mess up your digestive system. So what is to be believed?
There is no definite danger to human life with its consumption so here’s how we can tackle the caffeine problem before more people get confused.
In the US, there are roughly around 150 million individuals who drink caffeinated drinks every day. Most of them prefer coffee, and less often tea, sodas, energy drinks, and other supplements. The moderate permissible limit of caffeine intake is about 400 mg (3 cups) each day.
How is coffee beneficial?
Coffee can enhance mental abilities like attention-span and concentration in individuals that are sleep-deprived or experiencing jet lag.
- Coffee decreases the risk of neurological disorders like Parkinsonism or Alzheimer’s disease. The exception to this case would be postmenopausal women and an individual on hormone replacement therapy.
- Coffee decreases the risk of Diabetes Mellitus and also decreases insulin resistance in patients already suffering from the disease.
- Coffee aids in liver health. It causes a certain level of reversal in liver cirrhosis and protects the liver from Hepatitis C.
- Coffee helps in the relief in any kind of arthritis, but mainly gouty arthritis. It helps reduce inflammation of the joints and hence, reduces pain.
- Coffee helps in reducing the risk of cardiovascular diseases and aids in relieving constipation.
The dangers of coffee
- In regular coffee drinkers, it may cause rebound headaches if they aren’t able to consume coffee. This is shown as a withdrawal effect of coffee.
- Coffee can interfere and disturb sleep patterns.
- Coffee can induce or aggravate anxiety or panic attacks in people who are susceptible to them.
- Coffee cuts down the calcium absorption in the bones and can lead to early osteoporosis.
- Coffee can cause heart palpitations, sweating, and restlessness.
Conclusion to caffeine
The benefits of caffeine consumption are only valid if one is consuming it within the moderate levels. It begins to show side effects and symptoms of addiction once that level is crossed.
Although, there isn’t a deadly warning attached to coffee drinking and it may truly indicate some health benefits. Coffee isn’t as bad as they show it on the internet, but make sure you are keeping your habit at bay.
You may also like our article 6 awesome facts that you never knew about coffee.