Often times, people confuse vegans with vegetarians. Well, there are a lot of similarities within these two categories, but unlike vegetarians, veganism goes one step further by totally cutting off all other animal products. These products include; dairy products, eggs, honey, wool, silk, fur, leather, soaps, and cosmetics. It may sound extreme, but there is definitely a method to this perceived madness.
Why do people go vegan?
There are a number of reasons a person would prefer to become a vegan. In most cases, these reasons are related to health and environment. They might think that consuming animal products listed above would promote the unethical practices in the meat industry, so it’s best not to use any of those products. Becoming a vegan can also be a reason to show an example of a more loving and caring world.
Nutrition in veganism
For most of us, it might be hard to believe that a person would be able to continue with a healthy life after keeping away from meat and other animal products. It’s true that the products vegans avoid are considered to be the best and the easiest sources of protein, calcium, carbohydrates etc, but most of us are not aware of the fact that we aren’t just limited to these options. These are many other alternatives in form of vegetables, fruits, and nuts. This is why, despite cutting off all those necessary energy sources that our body needs, we can live a good and healthy life with veganism.
Benefits of veganism:
There are many huge benefits of being a vegan. Here I have listed down top 3 benefits of veganism:
1. Prevention from diseases: Studies show that veganism protects our body from many major diseases, some of which include:
- Cardiovascular diseases
- Blood pressure
- Breast cancer
- Colon cancer
2. Physical benefits: Along with providing nutritional benefits and prevention from major diseases, veganism also offers some amazing physical benefits for us:
- Weight loss: Usually when you are trying to lose weight, people suggest completely switching to fruits and vegetables to shed off those extra pounds. Basically, that’s exactly what a typical food list includes in veganism.
- Healthy skin: Going vegan means that you avoid all those sources of oily products that are the root cause of pimples and other skin problems.
- Longer life: According to a research, vegans tend to live a longer and healthier life than any average person. This could result in 3 to 6 of additional years.
- Bad breath: Meat is usually the main reason for bad breath. You can eliminate this problem by becoming a vegan.
3. Animals and environment: Wildlife and environmental concerns are the two main reasons for the majority of vegans.
I could go on with this list but the point is that incorporating veganism into your life has more benefits than negatives. It is not correct to think that you can’t continue a healthy diet after becoming a vegan.